Thursday, August 4, 2011

Our First Official Day of Shooting


Thursday August 4, 2011

We completed our second day of shooting for the production of “Chega De Saudade”. Today we took a trip to the Media Bureau in Northern Liberties, Philadelphia where we met with percussionist/music producer Jim Hamilton, cinematographer Kris Rey–Talley and director Stephen Tucker. Jim and I had a nice little jam session, going over a few Bossa Nova tunes along with original arrangements by yours truly.


I was a bit intimidated by who I was interviewing. As we started talking I was able to loosen up because I realized that Jim is just as passionate about music as I am. As Jim and I hit it off we began discussing the history of Bossa Nova and how the genre impacted the two of us. Jim, being a seasoned veteran had a vast amount of knowledge and experiences to share with us.

What are the similarities and differences between Brazilian music and American music along with how the cultures affect the music…or did the music affect the culture? Some of the songs we played included “Chega De Saudade”, “O Pato”, “Chove Chuva”, along with my original songs “Train Time”, and “Samba De Sofia” which you can find here www.reverbnation.com/robertobettega

The second half of the shoot was Steve discussing the project, what it means to him and the “lens” which he wants to capture the film through.  Altogether it was very productive we were able to share interesting ideas and ask questions, which will help us to clarify some aspects of the film. It was a pleasure meeting and playing music with Jim Hamilton and I am grateful he was willing to come meet with us.

Chega De Saudade,
Roberto (Gilberto)  Bettega

No comments:

Post a Comment